Busting the myths on horse movement records with Shane Laffey.

Busting the myths on horse movement records with Shane Laffey.

Biosecurity Inspector
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

When do we have to complete paperwork to move horses?
From 1 July 2016, EVERYTIME a horse moves off a property, a movement record must be created. If you are moving a horse across the tick line you must have the movement record in your possession. Click here for the electronic form that must be signed. 
What is the basic information I must include when completing a movement record?
The new legislation allows for a range of methods (including electronic records) to be used as a valid record as long as it captures the following details:

  • name of the person completing the record
  • where the horses/s are being moved from (including pic)     
  • where the horses/s are being moved to and the name and address of the person receiving the horse/s       
  • the date of movement
  • description of horse(s).

Movement records can be created in any format providing it captures the above specified information, including:

  • diary or logbook entries
  •  notepad or exercise book
  • email
  • text message
  • Excel spreadsheet
  • movement record (template only - this is template for all animals and some information may not be required for horse movements)
  • horse health declaration.

What do I have to do if I am moving my horse from infected country to clean country?
Under the new framework, horses are considered to pose a low risk of spreading viable cattle tick and are referred to as 'low risk carriers'.      
Permits will no longer be issued for horses crossing the tick line
To move a horse across a tick line you must:

  • Perform a manual inspection of the horse/s and found to be free of live Cattle Tick (as per procedure “Manual inspection of low risk carriers” and “Cattle Tick ID”.)
  • Carry a Movement Record (Previously known as a waybill) with you in hard copy (paper/electronic form) accompanying movement record must state the actions taken to achieve the risk minimisation requirements.

The following information must be included in the movement record:

  • Date of inspection
  • Name and contact details of the person who inspected the carrier

Chemical treatments (if any):

  • Date of treatment
  • Type of treatment

So, can I perform my own inspection?

The horse owner can perform the manual inspection if they have the ability to do so as required by the procedure "Manual inspection of low risk carriers." Alternatively, a competent third party person could be employed, or an accredited certifier to perform the manual inspection.

What do I do if I find live cattle tick on my horses?

If a live cattle tick is found on a carrier, all carriers in that consignment fail the inspection and must not be moved to the Tick free zone.

Commence a chemical treatment with appropriate approved chemical (Bayticol Dip and Spray is the only approved chemical for horses)and allow for the reinspection interval.  

If it is suspected that the cattle ticks are resistant to Bayticol D&S please contact your local Biosecurity officer for other options which could assist in achieving freedom from live cattle tick on your horse.
What can I do to minimise the carry of live cattle ticks?

  • Regular inspections of your horses whilst at events.
  • Keep rugs and gear off the ground in infested areas.
  • Spray your horse (s) immediately before returning/moving o the free zone or within 24 hours of arriving at the free zone destination as larval cattle ticks are almost invisible to the naked eye. 

Why do event secretaries require copies of movement records?
An event holder/organiser is required to keep a record of each horse that attended the event.

The details that must be on this record are:

  • Date of event
  • Name and address of the person who kept the animal before the event and details of the person keeping the animal after the event
  • The place the horses travelled from to the event
  • When the animals arrived and left the event
  • Description of horse or horses that may be sufficient to identify the horse or horses
  • Written record of any inspection and/or treatment that may have been required to meet the Risk Minimisation Requirement for the movement to the event.

It is suggested competitors make two copies (one to keep, one to give to event secretary.)
Please click here for link to Cattle Tick Line map
What are the requirements if I am travelling from the NT?
To move horses back in to Northern Territory following the Cloncurry Challenge & Campdraft, horses must be inspected and chemically treated by an Accredited Certifier.
Once the Accredited Certifier is satisfied that the horse(s) meet the risk minimisation requirement for the movement they will issue with Biosecurity Certificate and fill in their relevant section of the NT health certificate and waybill . The NT Health Certificate and waybill will then need to be signed by a Biosecurity Officer, certifying that you have met your requirement for entry in to NT.
What are the requirements if I am travelling from the NSW?
NSW require an Inspection and Chemical treatment by an Accredited Certifier before moving horses in NSW from the Queensland Cattle Tick Infested Zone.
Please download a copy of the NSW Record of Movement which is required while traveling in to NSW. This form can be used for your Movement in QLD as it has the same information requirements. You will need to email a copy of the Movement record and Biosecurity certificate issued by Accredited Certifier to kirra.spray@dpi.nsw.gov.au no later than 24hrs before moving horses in to NSW.
If you have any questions, please contact Bruce at Kirra Spray Centre on 07 5536 4714.
There is a list of Accredited certifiers on the Webpage follow the link here.